I believe we can be anyone

To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best to make you like everybody else is to fight the hardest battle you can fight--but never stop fighting! E.E. Cummings


Saturday, April 06, 2013

Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup, YUM!!!!

I have been on a journey of healing my body through food for quite a while now.  Letting go of things like dairy, various forms of meat products including chicken etc., wheat, gluten and too much sugar.  Although I have to say I still have quite a sweet tooth and need to keep that in check. 
 
I still choose to indulge in sweets and instead, choose quality over quantity and cheap pricing.  I choose things like raw chocolate and make a lot of my own stuff now.  At least that way I know exactly the ingredients I have put in.  I'm so picky about where I go to eat now and there are only a few restaurants I like to go.  One of which is The Coup http://www.thecoup.ca/  in Calgary, Alberta.  Never had a bad meal there and the service is always good.
 
Below is a recipe I just made today.  I found a vegetarian cream of mushroom soup on the web and tweaked a few ingredients to make it vegan.  I'm curious and think that using different types of mushrooms combined might be interesting too.  It's the best dairy and gluten free cream of mushroom soup I have EVER had including The Coup's version. You will never want any less than excellence again!!  And it's not difficult to make at all.  Enjoy!!
 
 
VEGAN CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP
 
 
 
Serves 8-10
Ingredients:
 
1 lb sliced white mushrooms and crimini mushrooms combined plus 2 portobello mushrooms also sliced
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 cup chopped leek or onions
2-3 garlic cloves minced
4 fresh thyme sprigs or 3 pinches of dried thyme
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
4 cups water
4 vegetable bouillon cubes
1 can coconut milk
Salt and Pepper
 
Directions:
 
1.  Melt coconut oil in pot and add garlic, leeks, thyme and 1 tsp salt.
2.  Add 1/4 cup water, cover and stew for 4-5 minutes.
3.  Add mushrooms and cook 4-5 minutes.
4.  Add nutritional yeast and cook for 2 minutes stirring frequently.
5.  Add bouillon and water.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
6.  Puree in blender until smooth.
7.  Add coconut milk and stir.  Season to taste with pepper and extra salt if needed.
8.  Garnish with sliced green onions, fried mushrooms and/or white truffle oil if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment