I believe we can be anyone

To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best to make you like everybody else is to fight the hardest battle you can fight--but never stop fighting! E.E. Cummings


Saturday, April 06, 2013

Chapter 6: I Didn't Pee My Pants!!

The interviewer asked me if I would do this again.  Honestly, at the time, it was too soon to tell.  It felt like this whole process and experience was so perfectly aligned with the stars that I don’t think and I know, that it wouldn’t or couldn’t happen like this again.  It was perfect the way it was and I’m not sure if I’m meant to do it again.  If it’s meant to be and it feels right, I’m sure I will know and I need to trust that.  Maybe I will volunteer instead next year.  Who knows??  Or, maybe there will be another adventure.


As my friends left, we headed home to change for the reception.  At the reception, I felt myself crashing and it continued for the following three days after.  The combination of all the excitement building to the event, the fundraising, plus my whole body being sore because of the physicality of rappelling (it was more physically challenging than I imagined) and the fact that I was unconsciously tensing my whole body in anticipation and fear, caused a tremendous amount of exhaustion for me.  Afterwards, I was in “hibernation” mode for a while.

This experience has been a long time coming and now that I have accomplished this, I have been in a “Now what?” place ever since.  It’s been strange because as I said, I felt like I fell “off the map” for a while after the event.  I was posting on Facebook every day, and then, once in a while and then nothing.  I have been processing all that has happened and then some since then.

Since this event, I do know and feel that my fear of heights has definitely lessened.  I feel like I could rappel down the seven stories at Crux Climbing no problem now.  I think it would be a piece of cake compared to rappelling down a 30 storey building!  Although I have to say, at the time, the seven stories did freak me out.
Crux Climbing Center training session




I look forward to going to Crux sometime and doing that again. Although rappelling down 30 stories was extremely difficult, the training certainly did help with my confidence prior to the event.  I can see why it's mandatory to do the training along with learning about safety precautions.  Prior to that, the highest I rappelled down was 3 stories.  I definitely found that taking baby steps building from 3 to 7 to 30 stories helped to build up my confidence.  Although I have to say, nothing really prepares you when you are standing on the roof of a 30 storey building.  It's not like you can practice climbing down a building beforehand!




 was blessed to have two friends and a professional photographer (who was there taking photos of her daughter at the event) take amazing photos of my journey.  This photographer said that she was touched and inspired by my journey and just gifted the photos to me.  I ordered photos from the professional photographers at the event  as well (albeit a bit pricey), but they turned out great and how could I not get some? 
It has certainly been an inspirational journey for me in so many ways; not just because of what I learnt along the way, but also seeing other people go on their journeys down the building and overcoming their fears.  Wow!   People can be so amazing!


THANKS SO MUCH to all those volunteers at Easter Seals http://www.easterseals.ab.ca/Site/index.aspx and Crux Climbing http://thecruxclimbing.com/web/ for taking the time and care to make this experience one I will never forget.  Thanks for making it safe for everyone year after year.  Thanks for your encouragement, because without you, it wouldn’t be possible.  You are truly a special group of people. 

And last but not least, thanks again to everyone (You know who you are!  There are too many to list here!) who donated financially and also energetically with your words of support, encouragement and enthusiasm.  I am truly grateful!!
 
So, in the end, do I recommend this experience?  Of course I do.  But, this isn't necessarily for everyone and there isn't just one "right" way that we can evolve and grow our spirits and who we are.  We all take different journeys and roads to get to the same place which is moving towards the light of who we are and becoming the best that we can be.  As long as we keep moving forward, it doesn't necessarily matter how or what we do, it will take us there regardless if we are open and willing to do so.
 
All I can say is if there is a voice inside of you that calls you to do something in your life, no matter what it is, pay attention to it and to the signs along the way.  What I have learnt is I have manifested this experience in my life several years ago.  And even though it was several years later that it came up again, I knew in that moment that it was meant to be and that the timing felt right.  This experience was a super strong "YES!" for me.  Because of that, it was one of the easiest flowing experiences I have had.  Everything happens for a reason and in good time. 
 
Pay attention, take a chance, step out of your comfort zone and you will be surprised at what you can can be, do and have.  Pay attention to the strong YES's in your life and by saying YES, you will be surprised with possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment