I believe we can be anyone

To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best to make you like everybody else is to fight the hardest battle you can fight--but never stop fighting! E.E. Cummings


Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Chapter 3: Hanging on the Edge of My World...

As my name was called, I walked towards the place where I would be putting on more equipment to rappel down.  There were three lines going down the building.  I was happy when I ended up being on the line with the two owners of Crux (who I had spoken with briefly at the training).  It felt comforting and serendipitous to see familiar faces.
I was strapped into more equipment.  All I could do was listen intently to their every word.  But believe me, I was getting nervous at this point.
 
Getting strapped in and getting ready to go down.  Soon!

 
Below are the two of the owners of Crux Climbing.


I was told to step up and stand on the edge of the building.  All I could do was listen to their instructions.  It’s really the oddest thing, stepping on the edge of the roof of a building like that.  Not something a “normal” person does every day! 
 
Standing on the edge of the unknown.



They asked if I wanted to look down.  I said no, but then peeked over at some point for a couple of seconds. You see, I was extremely scared of heights.  Why would I look down??  Curiosity got the best of me though and I couldn’t resist.

They told me to lean back but I guess I froze. I was looking right into one of the owner’s eyes when he said “You remember why you’re doing this, right Martina?”  I started to cry. 

Later at the reception, he told me “Oh shit, what did I say?”  He thought that it was perhaps not the right thing to say.  I thanked him because it was exactly what I needed to hear in that moment to spur me on.  Funny how everyone has their own perception of what they think has happened.

There is something symbolic about that moment for me, standing on the edge of that building.  Being in a place of:  "Okay.  Here I am."  Trusting, letting go and knowing, somehow, that I would be safe and that things will turn out the way they are supposed to.  And yet, there is a possibility that something could happen and this could be it.  Such is life.  How do we choose to live it?  In fear?  Or, with wild abandon and love?

This has come up more than once in my life.  Here it was again.  This time on top of a 30 storey building.  It’s all about how I do life.

 Standing on the "edge of my world."
 
Somehow, something shifted and I slowly started to lean back, thanks to the owners' coaching.
 
I was determined to NOT let my feet leave the building whatsoever because I didn’t want to be just dangling 30 stories up!  I couldn’t look down.  All I could do was focus in front of me and on what I was doing.  I continued to listen intently to their coaching as long as I could continue to hear them to help get me through the first challenging 10 stories ..... TO BE CONTINUED.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment