I believe we can be anyone

To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best to make you like everybody else is to fight the hardest battle you can fight--but never stop fighting! E.E. Cummings


Wednesday, July 01, 2015

What's Your Story??

Everyone has a story.  Everyone.  It makes us who we are.  It can define us if we let it, for "good" or for "bad".
 
The great thing about stories is that they are forever changing and evolving.  We can make them up as we go, if we choose.  Yes, that is what I said.  We can make them up.  Sometimes we need to fake it to make it, so they say.  If a person is stuck in an old story of who they think they are, sometimes what needs to be done is to let that old story go and create a new one.

"It's all make believe, isn't it?"  Marilyn Monroe 





Stories are powerful.  Sometimes they become the stuff of legends and myths.

Take, for example, the story of Jesus (no I'm not going to go all religious now, don't worry).  That story has been around for a couple thousand years, give or take.  Amazing, isn't it?  Do we really know what happened?  Probably not, but it is the essence of that story that matters.

We ALL have a story.  No matter how "big" or "small", it does not matter.  It's the stuff of life and the human experience.  It all matters whether we think so or not.  We are all a part of it on a universal level.  We are all playing a role.

I am always amazed and surprised at how stories can touch our hearts, inspire us and move us on an emotional level.



For a long time, I was ashamed of my "story".  I took other people's shame of MY story on and then I carried it around with me like I was carrying a bag of rocks in a backpack on my back.  (And by the way, I actually did a Shamanic ceremony doing exactly just that!  And believe me, those rocks were frickin' heavy!)

It wasn't until I claimed my story and let go of the shame around it that it became a powerful story for me. 

It isn't or wasn't necessarily my focus or conscious intention for it to be inspiring, but that's how it has turned out to be.  I know this because over and over again, people have said this to me.



So don't be afraid to share your stories, your lives, your experiences with those closest to you or even to strangers.  You never know how it is going to affect someone else or change them in some way.  Our words and our stories are powerful.

Stories are the stuff of life.  Stories are who we have been, who we are now and who we are becoming.




Let go of any shame you may have around a "negative" story, and trust me.  You will be free.  Shame is a heavy burden to carry around.  It's like a big secret that we don't want anyone to find out.  Once secrets are out though, there is no more power to them.  Sometimes when we meet other people with similar secrets, we no longer feel alone and that gives us power too.


A long time ago, someone once said something while I was taking a personal growth course:  "When you can stand on the rooftop of a highrise building and shout out to the world all your "dirty" little secrets and feel no shame, that's when you know you are free."



I feel free.  Do you?  It's possible.  It may take some work to get there, but believe me, it is well worth it and so are you.  My dream is that people heal themselves and become free to be who they are.  We can really choose to become who we want to be.  But until a person lets go of the past and accepts it for what it is, it's hard to move forward and to create something new.


So do yourself a favor, make the time to heal the past so you can be free to move forward and become who you were meant to be.  We need more of you shining your light and sharing your gifts.  






No comments:

Post a Comment