I believe we can be anyone

To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best to make you like everybody else is to fight the hardest battle you can fight--but never stop fighting! E.E. Cummings


Sunday, October 24, 2010

Lessons from a Homeless Man

One of the things that gives me joy is spontaneous interactions with people.  You never know what is going to happen.

I was walking home from getting a couple items from Shoppers Drug Mart the other day.  As I crossed the street, an elderly homeless man with whitish grey hair, a full beard, wearing a bright red kangaroo jacket and I "collided". 

He said, "Excuse me miss, but I'm campaigning for Mayor and am wondering if you could help me out with some fundraising." 

Well, that made me laugh out loud.  What a great and original line!  I said "You have my vote.  But I don't have any cash on me right now."

He says, "That's okay.  I also have a machine."

I laughed again.  We walked together for a block and chatted.  I offered to buy him a tea or something as we were walking by Steeps but he didn't want tea.  He said "Yuck, no thanks.  I'm just interested in booze."   As we parted ways I blew him a kiss adieu.

At least he was honest about what he wanted and what his needs were which is more than I can say for most people, including myself at times.

Sometimes I find it's still difficult to ask for what I need or want.  Why?  Well mostly it's fear.  Maybe I won't get it or maybe the offering will be rejected.  I know it "shouldn't" stop me but it still does at times.  But who knows, maybe someone will say "Yes" so what the hey then!

Is that going to stop this guy from asking?  Probably not.  Nor "should" it you or I.

Sometimes I learn more from interactions with "homeless" or so called "poor" people than anyone else.  Don't discount or judge them just because they are on the street.  You don't know their story or how they got there.  They deserve love, kindness and a listening ear from time to time like anyone else.  And who knows, maybe you will learn something from them!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I was just wondering if you are the owner of the photograph of the homeless man. I am interested in making a painting using the photo as a reference, however, I need to obtain the owners permission in order to do so.

    ReplyDelete